Subject: Salaries

Salaries

From: Maureen K. Sharp <msharp>
Date: Tuesday, August 1, 2006
    author.

We are revising my collections conservation position description
with an eye to raising it to a more realistic (higher)
classification and increasing the salary, and I would like any
information on relevant pay scales where the circumstances are
similar.

Right now, because of a prejudice against "handwork", which was
viewed as menial by our HR staff, the position is classified as a
"service level VII" job (Service has eleven levels), which is the
same as the mail clerks, with the salary and benefits the same as
well. If you have a position running a conservation lab in a
university, do hands on work yourself and are not just an
administrator, do not have a Masters of Library Science degree, and
would be willing to share the salary range with me, I would be very
grateful.

There was no such position before I came 11 years ago, and I created
the lab we have with a small budget allotted, have one student
worker, do repairs to items in our circulating collections as well
as special collections, and all of the record keeping, purchasing,
training, and reporting myself.  If you can share a little bit about
your education and position responsibilities, that is a bonus, but
all I have been asked to gather is current salary information, so if
you'd rather not, that is ok.

Any information you can share will be held in the strictest
confidence and will be shared only with my boss and our new HR guy
with no names attached, though I will probably need to say which
schools are represented. Please respond privately to
msharp [at] purdue__edu.

Maureen Sharp
Collections Conservation
Purdue University