Subject: Lightfastness testing equipment

Lightfastness testing equipment

From: Mark D. Gottsegen <mdgottsegen>
Date: Wednesday, August 2, 2006
Robert Lewis <robert.lewis [at] glasgow__gov__uk> writes

>We would like to hear from people who have experience using
>commercially available light-fastness testing equipment. We are
>looking into the purchase of one to examine the fading of paint
>samples. ...

I have a Q-SUN1000, a table-top xenon arc exposure chamber made by
Q- Lab Products (<URL:http://www.q-panel.com>).  It cost about
$10,000 several years ago.  The only difference between this and the
larger version is that this does not provide for humidity control.
In all our years of testing art materials for lightfastness using
ASTM D4303, we have never found that humidity is an issue.  Their
European office is at:

    Express Trading Estate
    Farnworth, Bolton BL49TP
    England
    +44 1204 861616
    Fax: +1204 861617

In fairness, so as not to exhibit any bias: Atlas Materials Testing
Services, in Chicago, IL, USA, makes similar instruments.

I hope this helps,

Mark D. Gottsegen
Chair, ASTM D01.57
Co-Director, AMIEN