Subject: Storing textiles

Storing textiles

From: Ashley Hale <ashley.hale>
Date: Friday, July 28, 2006
I am a museum studies student working at a non-museum institution
organizing and assessing their archival holdings.  I have come
across some nursing uniforms from the second World War that are at
present being stored in plastic bags.  There is some staining
(unknown) and the uniforms are very wrinkled, but otherwise in good
condition.  The uniforms are mainly made of a heavy cotton, but
there are some wool hats present as well.  Because I am not working
at a museum, storage practices are not ideal (they are being stored
at a warehouse that specializes in storing business records--no
environmental controls, etc) and they have to be able to fit in a
box like a bankers box, therefore I am unable to use textile boxes.
How should I go about storing these so there can be at least some
kind of preventive conservation practice?

                   Distributed: Monday, July 31, 2006