Subject: Globe

Globe

From: Sally J. Jacobs <sally.j.jacobs>
Date: Monday, July 24, 2006
I have a plea for help from a woman who owns a 50+ year old Replogle
Starlight Globe. She wants to dust it, but the paper (covered in
some kind of lacquer or shellac) is beginning to peel in places.

Here is how she describes the condition:

   "It seems to be covered with paper. On the colored parts I can
    see the dots that are made in the printing process. I'm guessing
    the paper was shellacked (if that's the correct term) because
    the outer layer of the paper is cracking and peeling, taking
    away the printing/color but leaving the paper"

She doesn't see any mold or mildew, just decades of dust.  Any
suggestions? Is it safe for her to attempt *any* dusting or
cleaning, or should I simply send her to the list of conservators at
CoOL?

    **** Moderator's comments:   The Foundation of the American
    Institute for Conservation (FAIC) has a service called the AIC
    Guide to Conservation Services, which will help you find a
    conservator in a particular specialty and geographic area.

        American Institute for Conservation
        1717 K Street, NW, Suite 200
        Washington, DC 20006
        202-452-9545