Subject: Lightfastness testing equipment

Lightfastness testing equipment

From: Robert Lewis <robert.lewis>
Date: Tuesday, July 25, 2006
We would like to hear from people who have experience using
commercially available light-fastness testing equipment. We are
looking into the purchase of one to examine the fading of paint
samples. We have previously used a bank of fluorescent tubes, and
were able to monitor the illuminance with a lux-meter. We're having
trouble finding commercially available testing equipment that gives
a clear indication of illuminance other than relative to Blue Wool
Standards. We were ideally looking at xenon arc instruments because
of their similarity to daylight, but are also considering
(particularly because of cost) equipment that uses other light
sources, while avoiding wavelengths approaching UV.

Rob Lewis
Assistant Conservator (Objects)
Cultural and Leisure Services
Museum of Transport