Subject: Wax

Wax

From: Angela Karsten <angelakarsten>
Date: Monday, July 24, 2006
I have been working on a 14th century lantern, found on a shipwreck
in the Baltic Sea. Within the lantern I found three wax fragments
(FTIR: beeswax), each ca. 4 cm long and 0,5 cm in diameter.

Has anyone got experience with the treatment, especially drying and
consolidation, of wet archaeological wax? Any suggestions,
information about old treatments or any references are most welcome.

Angela Karsten

                   Distributed: Monday, July 31, 2006