Subject: Conservation principles

Conservation principles

From: Frank Hassard <f.hassard>
Date: Tuesday, July 4, 2006
In Conservation DistList Instance: 19:60 Thursday, June 15, 2006
I wrote

>A very well respected and senior member of the international
>conservation community recently stated the following:
>
>   "It is my belief that 'minimum-intervention' is an institutional
>    ploy to save money and to cover up a lack of skills."

I feel as though I must clarify that this statement refers
specifically to Furniture and Decorative Arts Conservation and that
I am researching in the United Kingdom.

    **** Moderator's comments: The omission of this fact was the
    result of a miscommunication between the author and myself.

Nonetheless, from the responses this has generated thus far (both on
the DistList and to me privately) I have become aware that some of
the issues that the domain of Furniture and Decorative Arts faces
are relevant to other domains but in different ways. The initial
statement was posted in order to get some feedback from the wide
coverage that the DistList provides--this has proved to be
worthwhile as I have learnt a great deal.

Lastly, the 'well respected and senior member' (so far as the
DistList is concerned) will remain anonymous.

Frank Hassard
PhD Research
Buckinghamshire Chilterns University College
c/o Brunel University, United Kingdom

                   Distributed: Sunday, July 23, 2006