Subject: ASTM D 3132

ASTM D 3132

From: Mark D. Gottsegen <mdgottsegen>
Date: Thursday, July 6, 2006
ASTM D3132, Standard Test Method for Solubility Range of Resins and
Polymers (1996), has been withdrawn by the ASTM subcommittee in
charge because they could not find any resin/polymer manufacturers
to help with its revision.  I received an email from ASTM's
Technical Committee Operations Manager including an inquiry from a
conservator about its status:  the conservator recommends it to
colleagues and wanted to know if there was an update.

If there is any desire in the conservation community to continue
using D 3132, please let me know.  I will add its revision to the
Agenda for the January 2007 meeting of D01.57 and see if we can drum
up any interest.

Following is the Scope of ASTM D 3132:

    "1.1    This test method covers determination of the solubility
            of resins and polymers in terms of the region of
            solubility parameter and hydrogen bonding of solvents in
            which complete solution occurs. In some cases dipole
            moment of the solvents may also be required to delineate
            more exactly the boundaries of solubility.

    "1.2    This test method is applicable only if the test
            solutions are of sufficient clarity and freedom from
            color to allow accurate visual judgement of complete
            solubility and of low enough viscosity for solution to
            take place.

    "1.3    This standard does not purport to address all of the
            safety concerns, if any, associated with its use.  It is
            the responsibility of the user of this standard to
            establish appropriate safety and health practices and
            determine the applicability of regulatory limitations
            prior to use.  For a specific hazard statement, see Note
            1 in 6.2"

Thank you.

Mark D. Gottsegen
Chair, ASTM D01.57