Subject: Paintings on translucent supports

Paintings on translucent supports

From: Antoine Maury <antoine.maury>
Date: Monday, June 19, 2006
I am a student on Master 1 of conservation-restoration of painted
works at the Avignon Fine Art School (one of four French stately
official education programs recognized by the Ministry of Culture).
For my diploma I am interested in art works made in "transparence",
and I would like to concentrate my efforts on problematics of their
restoration.

Also, this subject led me to study the Daguerre's Dioramas, which
are painted works on canvas, made in transparence, painted on the
front and back. The picture is animated with a "light show" module,
which works on the system of reflection and refraction. I am also
interested in some other "transparents" works.

I am looking for references to scientific and technical
documentation, information about your experiences with these type of
problems and also information about objects which could present a
practical foundation of my study.

Antoine Maury

The Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum

                   Distributed: Monday, July 3, 2006