Subject: Call for papers--Seminar on biochemistry

Call for papers--Seminar on biochemistry

From: Simon Moore <simon.moore>
Date: Monday, June 19, 2006
The Natural Sciences Collections Association (NatSCA) is organising
another seminar this autumn, November 9, 2006 probably at Kew
Gardens' Jodrell Laboratory.

This year the subject is Biochemistry and I am looking for speakers,
preferably in the UK, as we cannot offer to pay speakers' fees from
abroad, although a contribution will be available.

The event is planned to take place on the Nov 8, 2006 or Nov 9, 2006
of November at Roehampton (near Wimbledon).

I am looking for speakers on the following topics:

    The building blocks of what natural history specimens comprise

    Effects of fluid preservation both fixation and preservation
    (possible speaker allocated).

    Effects of drying and drying out (possible speaker allocated)

    Effects of fungal infestation (how do fungi chemically alter the
    composition of infested specimens?)

    Effects of fumigants and other anti-pest processes
    (Thermo Lignum)
    (Possible speaker/s allocated).

    Chemical changes that can affect herbarium specimen
    (possible speaker allocated).

    Chemical changes that can affect microslide preparations

    Chemical effect-changes brought about by fading and other colour
    loss (eg. pinned dragonflies quickly losing their natural
    colour)

    Analysing problems for future prevention

The audience will comprise keepers and conservators of Natural
Science Collections, so the talks should be at an appropriate
scientific level.

Speakers will be allowed free entry to the seminar, including lunch
and will be offered money to cover all or part of their travel
expenses.

Speakers will also be asked for a write-up of their presentation for
NatSCA News.

Please apply to the address below or simon.moore [at] hants__gov__uk

Simon Moore, MIScT, FLS, ACR
Conservator of Natural Sciences
Hampshire County Council
Recreation and Heritage Department