Subject: Saving Energy

Saving Energy

From: Anna Buelow <anna.buelow>
Date: Tuesday, June 13, 2006
As part of an on-going review of energy costs at The National
Archives (UK), an evaluation of our current environmental standards
is necessary in order to determine where savings can be made without
compromising responsible stewardship of the collection. We are
investigating

    *   what energy savings can be made if current environmental
        conditions are allowed to fluctuate more, but remain within
        the boundaries of BS 5454: 2000.

    *   what savings could be made if these limits were pushed
        beyond BS 5454:2000, and

    *   what the quantifiable risks to the collection are if we
        pushed environmental boundaries beyond BS 5454:2000

In this context I am interested to hear whether there are any
institutions who are dealing with this already, particularly in the
UK, but all comments/experiences are welcome.

Dr Anna E Bulow
Head of Preservation
The National Archives
Department of Collection Care