Subject: Marking

Marking

From: Barbara Appelbaum <aandh>
Date: Thursday, June 15, 2006
I have a corporate client who has just discovered that a couple of
works on paper hanging in the corporate offices (I think, actually,
in the corridors), have been stolen and replaced with photocopies.
She would like to mark the reverse of all works on paper--not with
invisible ink, but with something visible, so that stolen works
could not easily be sold.  Such a material would have to be
archival, not seep through the paper, and be difficult to remove.

Does anyone know of such a material?  The other question is: what
other measures can she take?  I don't know how the pieces are
secured to the wall, so that is something to discuss, but the number
of pieces hanging in halls and offices is huge, and there is no way
that the company is going to support an expensive electronic system
of some kind.

Any recommendations for security consultants that you have worked
with would be helpful as well.

Barbara Appelbaum
Appelbaum and Himmelstein
444 Central Park West