Subject: Consolidant

Consolidant

From: Bettina Landgrebe <landgrebe>
Date: Thursday, June 15, 2006
Claire Daly <claire_daly [at] birmingham__gov__uk> writes

>I am to conserve a large panel with applied "Grinling Gibbons"
>carvings, which has suffered from severe Furniture Beetle
>infestation.  After Thermo Lignum treatment, I need to consolidate
>the flight holes.  Does anybody have experience of consolidating
>Gibbons carvings, or can anybody recommend a suitable consolidant,
>which will give sufficient depth of penetration and also avoid
>swelling the wood fibres?  Paraloid B72 in acetone has been
>suggested, but I am interested in alternatives.

In her diploma theses, written 2001 at the Fachhochschule Koln,
Germany, Ebba Krieger writes about the penetration pattern of
synthetic resins into insect-ridden wood. A short article on the
subject was published in "Zeitschrift fr Kunsttechnologie und
Konservierung" 17. Jahrgang 2003, Heft 2.It may be interesting for
you to read this article. Paraloid B-72 in Toluene (25% and 30%) as
well as Plexigum PQ 611in Benzine 100-140 (25%)are mentioned as
being well suited to penetrate sufficiently deep as well as to give
sufficient stability to the sample blocks of insect damaged wood.

Bettina Landgrebe
Restauratorin
Kunsthalle Bremen
Am Wall 207