Subject: Retouching

Retouching

From: Mark D. Gottsegen <mdgottsegen>
Date: Wednesday, May 31, 2006
Perry Hurt <phurt [at] ncmamail__dcr__state__nc__us> writes

>Applying a coating of acrylic medium between the paint and varnish
>is a good thought but probably not practical.  It would be affected
>each time the varnish is removed.  Especially if the painting had
>any texture the medium coating would be affected unevenly,
>potentially causing more complications. More importantly I've seen
>pure coatings of acrylic medium yellow dramatically.  Regalrez and
>MS2A (a ketone resin varnish) offer the lowest possible solubility,
>bringing them very close to usefulness, but at this point their
>solvents still affect acrylic medium/paint.  There are a few water
>soluble materials that might hold some promise, maybe Aquazol.  It
>usually requires a little alcohol though to get it into solution.

Maybe there is another solution, so to speak:  one manufacturer of
acrylic dispersion materials makes an acrylic dispersion varnish,
which is removable with a solution of ammonia in water.  How about
that?

Mark D. Gottsegen
Chair, ASTM D01.57
Associate Professor