Subject: Retouching

Retouching

From: Perry Hurt <phurt>
Date: Tuesday, May 30, 2006
Mark D. Gottsegen <mdgottsegen [at] earthlink__net> writes

>But what about the idea of using an isolating layer of an acrylic
>medium between the painting and the varnish--dried 30 days, then
>allowing the isolating layer to dry an additional 30 days before
>applying the varnish?  This would provide a buffering layer between
>the paints and the varnish, right?  Wouldn't it be alright to use
>either an acrylic solution varnish or the styrene Regalrez in this
>case?  What about a ketone resin varnish?

Applying a coating of acrylic medium between the paint and varnish
is a good thought but probably not practical.  It would be affected
each time the varnish is removed.  Especially if the painting had
any texture the medium coating would be affected unevenly,
potentially causing more complications. More importantly I've seen
pure coatings of acrylic medium yellow dramatically.  Regalrez and
MS2A (a ketone resin varnish) offer the lowest possible solubility,
bringing them very close to usefulness, but at this point their
solvents still affect acrylic medium/paint.  There are a few water
soluble materials that might hold some promise, maybe Aquazol.  It
usually requires a little alcohol though to get it into solution.

Perry Hurt
Conservator for Regional Conservation Services
North Carolina Museum of Art
Direct phone: 919-664-6813
Museum phone: 919-839-6262
Fax: 919-733-8034