Subject: Retouching

Retouching

From: Mark D. Gottsegen <mdgottsegen>
Date: Tuesday, May 30, 2006
Perry Hurt <phurt [at] ncmamail__dcr__state__nc__us> writes

>I'll attempt to put this issue in a nutshell from the point of view
>of a bench conservator.
>
>Oil paint chemically hardens with age. ...
>
>Acrylic paint does not become harder with age.  Once it has gone
>through its varied drying processes it may no longer be soluble in
>water, but it remains soluble in very weak organic solvents such as
>naphtha or mineral spirits. ...

Thanks for your thoughts.  It's always good to continue the dialog
with you.

But what about the idea of using an isolating layer of an acrylic
medium between the painting and the varnish--dried 30 days, then
allowing the isolating layer to dry an additional 30 days before
applying the varnish?  This would provide a buffering layer between
the paints and the varnish, right?  Wouldn't it be alright to use
either an acrylic solution varnish or the styrene Regalrez in this
case?  What about a ketone resin varnish?

I can't speak for the research into harder, less soluble acrylic
dispersion resins but I bet there are those out there who can!

Mark D. Gottsegen
Chair, ASTM D01.57
Associate Professor
Department of Art