Subject: Retouching

Retouching

From: Andrea di Bagno <adibagno>
Date: Monday, May 29, 2006
Mark D. Gottsegen <mdgottsegen [at] earthlink__net> writes

>...  The stronger solvents needed to remove a
>cross-linked coating from an oil painting are carefully monitored
>so as to avoid solubilizing the oil paint films; why could there not
>be the same theory applied to the cleaning of a varnished acrylic
>dispersion painting? ...

The bottom line is that an acrylic emulsion paint layer even after
aging remains partially soluble in mild solvents such as xylene,
because of the additives used in formulating these paints.

I would like to refer anyone interested in this problem to read the
short but concise "Special Considerations" written by Richard
Wolbers printed in the  Painting Conservation Catalog put together
by the Paintings Specialty Group and published by AIC.

Andrea Guidi di Bagno
Chief Paintings Conservator
Museum of Fine Arts, Houston

                  Distributed: Thursday, June 15, 2006