Subject: Integrated Pest Management policies

Integrated Pest Management policies

From: Linda Klise <linda.klise>
Date: Thursday, June 8, 2006
    **** Moderator's comments: Please respond directly to the author.

The Integrated Pest Management Working Group (IPM-WG) is a group of
collection managers, conservators and other professionals interested
in issues surrounding the implementation of integrated pest
management in museum and other collection-holding institutions. The
group is informally hosted by the American Museum of Natural History
in New York and meets on an ad-hoc basis. The goal of the group is
to promote and facilitate good IPM practices and collaboration
between staff and institutions through the development and on-line
distribution of training materials and other resources. The group
also maintains the IPM listserve which provides a forum for
discussion of IPM-related topics.

One of our major objectives is to provide an on-line resource to
help museums and other institutions develop standards and best
practices for an Integrated Pest Management policy. Because many
museums already have an IPM policy, the working group has begun to
gather examples of these policies so that a comprehensive assessment
can be made of these existing policies and to provide access to this
information via <URL:http://www.museumpests.net>. The intent of this
on-line resource is to provide a tool to help museums and other
institutions develop an IPM policy that fits their specific needs.

We are asking all interested museums to send us a copy of their IPM
policy. While you may submit it at your convenience, we would
appreciate receiving it as soon as possible to facilitate our
ongoing analysis. It is possible that we may request examples of
individual policies to be made accessible over the IPM-WG's website.

We are aware of concerns a museum may have in relation to
permissions, credit line and anonymity, and we will certainly abide
by a museum's wishes in regards to these issues. If you have an IPM
policy you would like to share with us, it can be sent
electronically to

    linda.klise [at] yale__edu

or by mail to

    Linda Klise
    Peabody Museum of Natural History
    Paleobotany Division
    Yale University
    170 Whitney Ave.
    PO Box 208118
    New Haven CT 06520-8118

We appreciate your taking the time to send us this information.

                 Distributed: Wednesday, June 14, 2006