Subject: Consolidant

Consolidant

From: Claire Daly <claire_daly>
Date: Wednesday, May 31, 2006
I am to conserve a large panel with applied "Grinling Gibbons"
carvings, which has suffered from severe Furniture Beetle
infestation.  After Thermo Lignum treatment, I need to consolidate
the flight holes.  Does anybody have experience of consolidating
Gibbons carvings, or can anybody recommend a suitable consolidant,
which will give sufficient depth of penetration and also avoid
swelling the wood fibres?  Paraloid B72 in acetone has been
suggested, but I am interested in alternatives.

Claire Daly
Conservator, Decorative Surfaces
Birmingham Museums and Art Gallery
Birmingham B3 3DH