Subject: Labelling silver

Labelling silver

From: Kate Weikert <kate.weikert>
Date: Friday, May 26, 2006
I am an assistant registrar who needs information about proper
methods to label silver objects.  Our current method is to coat a
small patch with soluvar varnish, followed by the number in red or
black india ink, then a final layer of the varnish.  As we are
reevaluating our silver systems, I thought this would be an ideal
time to see if this was still considered accepted practice or if
there was an alternative method that is now considered safer for the
object.  Any suggestions?

Katherine Weikert
Assistant Registrar
Portland Art Museum