Subject: Computed tomography

Computed tomography

From: Patti Gibbons <pgibbons>
Date: Friday, May 26, 2006
I've recently read a couple articles about volumetric scanning and
the use of computed tomography to scan printed materials that cannot
be opened or flattened, such as tightly rolled scrolls or once
water-soaked books with adhered pages. Being able to scan text for
materials that otherwise cannot be accessed seems very promising,
but I'm curious to know if conservators have found any ill effects
from the x raying process. Does anyone have an opinion on the
overall safety of this technology?

Patti Gibbons
Preservation Manager
Special Collections Research Center