Subject: A death

A death

From: Steve Nash <snash>
Date: Thursday, May 25, 2006
Joanna Rowntree
1968-2006

Joanna Rowntree, Conservator at the Nasher Sculpture Center in
Dallas, passed away on May 20 following a long battle with renal
cancer.  She was 38 years of age.  Joanna held a B.A. from the
University of California at Berkeley and a Masters in Conservation
Science from Winterthur.  She interned at Winterthur, the Hirshhorn,
and MOMA and worked at the Johnson Atelier Technical Institute of
Sculpture and the Sculpture Conservation Studio in Los Angeles
before joining the Nasher Sculpture Center in 2002.  She managed the
conservation program at the Sculpture Center with true distinction.

    **** Moderator's comments: An obituary in the Dallas Morning
    News May 24, 2006 <URL:http://www.dallasnews.com>

       "'I have worked with many conservators during my career, but
        I can honestly say that none has been better than Joanna,'
        Steven Nash, director of the Nasher Sculpture Center, said
        Tuesday. 'Particularly remarkable was her fierce
        determination to find exactly the right techniques for the
        treatment of particular sculptures and carry them out with
        the most exacting standards.'

    The obituary goes on to say

       "Ms. Rowntree is survived by her parents, Paul and Caroline
        Rowntree of New Paltz, N.Y., who have been living in Dallas
        for the past two years. Other survivors include her sister,
        Amy Darragh, and one niece and one nephew. No public service
        is planned."

Steve Nash

                   Distributed: Sunday, May 28, 2006