Subject: Stained glass

Stained glass

From: Kevin Buschey <kbuchey>
Date: Thursday, May 11, 2006
I am in the process of repairing a stained glass window. I would
guess it is from the 1920's, possibly a catalogue piece. There a
number of broken clear pieces of glass. The pieces are framed with
zinc channels. I am attempting to heat the old solder enough to
liquify and break bond, so I can disassemble the frame and remove
the broken glass. The old solder will not liquify when applying the
soldering iron to it.

Also, I have cleaned the zinc with steel wool and applied flux, and
tried to apply new solder, it will not adhere to the zinc, or any of
the old solder remaining. The new solder is 50/50. Why won't the old
solder liquify when applying heat? Why doesn't the new solder adhere
to the old zinc?

Kevin Buschey

                  Distributed: Saturday, May 13, 2006