Subject: Casein

Casein

From: Mark D. Gottsegen <mdgottsegen>
Date: Saturday, May 6, 2006
Galeazzi Prune <galeazziprune [at] yahoo__fr> writes

>I am student in the conservation-restauration department at the
>School of Art of Avignon (France). I am beginning research about
>casein binding and would like to tackle the problem of rigid binder
>on flexible support. But, first of all, I would like to find as much
>information as possible concerning the history of this technique.

My friend and colleague Zora Sweet Pinney reminded me about the
Modern Materials Collection at the National Gallery of Art,
Washington DC, USA.  This collection, which she initiated, has a
number of samples of Shiva's original casein paints.

Mark D. Gottsegen
Chair, ASTM D01.57
Associate Professor
Department of Art