Subject: Mold

Mold

From: Siobhan Woodgate <woodgates>
Date: Tuesday, May 2, 2006
I have come across some quite pronounced (almost mouse
dropping-like) black forms on the pages of one book. My initial
reaction was to assume that it was from a metal impurity within the
paper which had somehow expanded. However there is some web like
blooming around some of the lumps. They appear throughout the book,
and there is a more obvious dusty/powdery mould near the black
protrusions, hinting that the lumps are in fact mould related too.
When picked out the black accretions will take the paper with it, so
leaving a hole.

Apparently there is another sheet like mould that the assistant
archivist has come across on occasion, which would also be a
question I would like to pose if anyone knows, or knows where to
direct me please?

I am planning to isolate the book, rather than treat it. I think I
will box it, and maintain the correct environmental conditions,
although I did think that vacuum packing it might be a possibility??

If treated, I'm assuming that the current treatment is still to
treat with IMS, to kill the mould. If possible?

I hope somebody can help to explain either what these black deposits
are, if indeed they are mould, and if so a suggestion on the best
way of treating it would be appreciated, if different from my
thoughts.

Siobhan Woodgate

                    Distributed: Friday, May 5, 2006