Subject: Silverfish

Silverfish

From: Niccolo Caldararo <caldararo>
Date: Sunday, April 30, 2006
This is in response to Morag Wehrle' s request concerning dealing
with silverfish. My comments may not sit well with some people in
IPM programs or industry professionals in pest control but I have
seen results and think it worth mentioning.  The application of
boric acid in powder form has worked remarkably well for a number of
small museums and historical societies I have worked with. There are
certainly some concerns regarding its use. Some people are sensitive
to the powder, some dislike it on surfaces, and some people claim it
has serious effects on some objects. All of these concerns apply to
all pesticides available for use and yet most are simply not
effective due to the development of resistance by most insects. Some
small mammals suffer illnesses from ingestion, especially cats.
Since the powder can be carried home with people on clothing, this
should be considered. Nevertheless, its overall toxicity is quite
low and should be an option.

Niccolo Caldararo
Director and Chief Conservator
Conservation Art Service