Subject: Position at British Library

Position at British Library

From: Ravinder Panesar <rpanesar>
Date: Wednesday, April 26, 2006
Project Co-ordinator, Conservation Research
The British Library
St Pancras, London
Three year fixed-term contract

Salary CUKP24-UKP28k + benefits

The British Library is one of the greatest research libraries in the
world. Our modernisation programme ensures that we keep pace with
other international libraries. We continue to set standards with our
integrated management of the nation's digital and printed
collection.

The recent award to The British Library by the Andrew W Mellon
Foundation of the largest ever grant for research into the
conservation of library and archive materials, marks an important
step in the development of our research strategy. This is an
exciting opportunity for somebody with a conservation and science
background to become closely involved with the running of two
conservation research projects.

The Identical Books project involves assessing the condition of
identical books stored in different libraries, and correlating their
condition with the environments they have experienced. This will
enable the future evolution of the condition of these books to be
predicted. The Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) in Books project
will involve the analysis of VOCs emitted by books and their
correlation with the mode and degree of deterioration of the books.
In the future, this may enable the condition of books to be assessed
by sampling the VOCs in the air in book stores.

Working with the Head of Conservation Research, you will liaise with
colleagues in the British Library and in the five Legal Deposit
libraries (Oxford, Cambridge, Edinburgh, Aberystwyth and Dublin) and
two national archives (Kew and Edinburgh), and with staff at the
Centre for Sustainable Heritage (University College London) and the
University of Strathclyde, to ensure that these projects are
delivered on time according to the project programme.

To do this job, you will need a qualification in conservation or
equivalent experience (not necessarily in the field of books or
paper) and experience of conservation science or scientific
research. You'll need to show evidence of your experience in
managing projects in the heritage sector, and you'll need all your
influencing and persuading skills to keep the projects on course.
Excellent problem solving skills and the ability to develop
practical solutions will enable you to succeed in this challenging
role. You should be able to write clearly and concisely in order to
put across ideas and conclusions to a non-technical audience.

The post is a three year fixed-term appointment. It is based in St
Pancras, Central London, but will involve extensive travel to
Oxford, Cambridge, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberystwyth and Dublin.

For an informal discussion about this job, please contact

    Dr Barry Knight
    +44 20 7412 7229
    barry.knight [at] bl__uk

For an application pack and further details on how to apply, please
contact

    People Media Response
    +44 20 7420 2080
    bl [at] peoplemedia__co__uk

quoting reference VM040306.

Further information is also available from
<URL:http://www.bl.uk/about/vacancies.html>

Closing date: Thursday, 18 May 2006.

programme which encourages the highest standards of service
innovation and professional development.

The British Library is an Equal Opportunities employer. We recognise
the benefit of employing a diverse workforce. All applicants are
considered on the basis of their merits and suitability for the job
and all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria will be
invited for interview.

Ravinder Panesar
Account Co-ordinator
People Media