Subject: Silverfish

Silverfish

From: Morag Wehrle <morag.wehrle>
Date: Monday, April 24, 2006
Our entire office building, which is also home to our library and
archives, is currently having problems with silverfish.  There is a
movement here to spray the entire building with pesticides, but
"leaving out" the archives and library.  However, since these two
areas are not secured, I am concerned about the effect of pesticides
on this material.  Additionally, if these two areas are not treated,
the silverfish problem will obviously persist, as there are fair
numbers of them in both the archives and library.

Does anyone have any suggestions for dealing with this problem?  So
far the advice I have been offered is to lower the RH or to rehouse
all of the archival and library material, neither of which is a
feasible solution for us.  The archival room is of particular
concern to me; it's a small, refitted room at the back of the office
building, and although there is a large dehumidifier running in
there almost 24 hours a day, the RH remains reasonably stable at
about 55-58%.

Morag Wehrle
Heritage Collections Officer
Gulf of Georgia Cannery National Historic Site
12138 Fourth Avenue
Steveston BC V7E 3J1
604-664-9159
Fax 604-664-9008