Subject: Copper printing plates

Copper printing plates

From: Simon Barcham Green <simongreen>
Date: Saturday, April 22, 2006
Juliette Baxter <jbaxter [at] northamptonshire__gov__uk> writes

>Does anyone know of methods for obtaining prints from copper
>engraved printing plates from the 1850s? The plates are in good
>condition, but obviously we do not want to subject them to any
>process which might cause damage.

I would suggest you consult <URL:http://www.thomasross.co.uk/>  who
have been printing copper engravings since the early 19th century
and continue to do  so from their own huge collection of plates.
They can also hand colour them in  the original fashion. This way
you will be getting original reprints with all of  the original
detail. Getting 19th century handmade copper plate paper or the
equivalent would be more of a problem but there are various good
cylinder mould made papers around.

It's also worth looking at Ross's plate catalogue as they can
provide  a very wide range of historic images relating to the
requirements of many museums, other exhibitions and private
collections.

Simon Barcham Green
1 Snapgate Cottage
Five Oak Lane