Subject: Microballoon mixture for wood

Microballoon mixture for wood

From: Thomas James Braun <Tom.Braun>
Date: Tuesday, March 14, 2006
Eugenia Stamatopoulou <stamatopoulou [at] deste__gr> writes

>This query is posted on behalf of Maria Filipoussi
>
>    Does anybody have information about epoxy resin/phenolic
>    microballoons mixture as a filler for wood objects? ...

For wood fills we often use a product called Abatron, made in
Kenosha, Wisconsin.  It is a white, lightweight, two-part epoxy
filler that I have been very pleased with.  It is quite hard but is
also easily carved and sanded. It adheres well to most clean
substrates.  You can find more information at
<URL:http://www.abatron.com>.  The website has information in
several European languages, so I would assume they ship to Europe.

Thomas J. Braun
Daniels Object Conservation Laboratory
Minnesota Historical Society

                  Distributed: Friday, April 21, 2006