Subject: Bags for storing silver objects

Bags for storing silver objects

From: Thomas James Braun <Tom.Braun>
Date: Friday, April 14, 2006
Sofia Galarza Liu <reina [at] ku__edu> writes

>Has anyone had experience (positive or negative) using tarnish
>intercept bags for storing small sterling silver museum objects?

We have been using Corrosion Intercept bags for many years, and have
had positive experiences with them.  I am not aware of any negative
results.  That said, we usually use them in conjunction with several
other methods aimed to prevent tarnish.  Specifically, we first
thoroughly clean our silver artifacts with precipitated calcium
carbonate, coat them with Agateen lacquer, and store them in well
controlled conditions that include temperature and humidity
controls, in addition to air pollution filtration.  I would have to
admit that our silver might be just as well protected without the
Corrosion Intercept, but to us it seems like a good inexpensive
additional layer of protection for some of our most vulnerable
collections.

Thomas J. Braun
Daniels Object Conservation Laboratory
Minnesota Historical Society