Subject: Odor

Odor

From: Vasilios Tousis <insitu>
Date: Wednesday, April 12, 2006
Marilena Giannakeri <mgiannak [at] uth__gr> writes

> ... The
>archive consists of bound volumes which emit this moldy odour that
>even spreads out to the upper floor if the doors are left open. I
>have read about Zeolite traps but I am not sure if they do work and
>I don't know where I could get such a product here. I also read
>about using baking soda, kitty litter, clay litter.? Do any of these
>apply effectively and how?

You should first check the humidity and temperature levels in your
library. Probably the humidity levels will be high, so this
increases the rate of the mold growth.

You may check the temperature and humidity levels with an
appropriate datalogger for measuring ambient humidity and
temperature. If after that, you find out that your humidity levels
are too high, you should lower them using dehumidifying equipment.
There are dehumidifiers with active carbon filters. This will reduce
humidity and consequently the mold growth and the odour.

Vasilios Tousis
Conservator/Technical Manager
IN SITU Museum and Archive Services
P. Papageorgiou 3