Subject: Odor

Odor

From: Jerry Shiner <jshiner>
Date: Sunday, April 9, 2006
Marilena Giannakeri <mgiannak [at] uth__gr> writes

> ... The
>archive consists of bound volumes which emit this moldy odour that
>even spreads out to the upper floor if the doors are left open. I
>have read about Zeolite traps but I am not sure if they do work and
>I don't know where I could get such a product here. I also read
>about using baking soda, kitty litter, clay litter.? Do any of these
>apply effectively and how?

I don't think that there is much chance of success in absorbing the
odor wafting up the stairs. Removing the odor in a large space means
moving a lot of air through some very effective filtering. Zeolites
or baking soda may work to a limited degree in a small, enclosed
space. No solution will work effectively if the odor is being
"renewed" by mold activity.

Clay cat litters and white crystalline cat litter (this is a silica
gel) will absorb moisture, which may reduce mold activity, but both
will quickly reach saturation in a large room. Again, a desiccant
could work well in an enclosed space where the addition of new
moisture was not a key factor.

One solution is to prevent the spread of the odor by stopping it
near the source. This could be done by creating a microclimate
around the odoriferous archive. A microclimate system could be
achieved either by using encapsulation in plastic bags (with oxygen
absorbers to prevent further growth of mold), or by creating a
sealed "tent" and controlling the tented environment with an active
microclimate control system.

For more information on oxygen-free (anoxic) encapsulation, see
<URL:http://www.keepsafe.ca> and for more information on active
microclimate control see <URL:http://www.microclimate.ca/>

Jerry Shiner
Microclimate Technologies International / Keepsafe Systems
800-683-4696 ext: 701
905-629-1999 ext: 701

                  Distributed: Friday, April 21, 2006