Subject: Storing motorcycle

Storing motorcycle

From: Dennis Krause <dennis.krause>
Date: Tuesday, April 11, 2006
Marie-Chantale Poisson <misspoisson [at] yahoo__ca> writes

>We have a 1995 Aprilia motorcycle designed by Philippe Starck in our
>collection (look online for a similar model of the Moto 6.5), which
>needs servicing in view of long-term storage. ...
>Besides taking the battery and spark plugs out, does anybody have
>recommendations for its storage? Which fluids should be flushed,
>topped or replaced? ...

I am guessing that as a modern art institution, your concern is the
preservation of this vehicle as a stationary objet de art, as
opposed to a functioning vehicle. Therefore, I would recommend that
you empty all of the oil from the engine, transmission and front
forks, and the coolant from the coolant system. A small amount of
Enginewise Vapour Oil, <URL:http://www.enginewise.co.uk>
<URL:http://www.enginewise.co.uk>, or a similar product, can be
added to the crankcase of the engine to protect the internal
surfaces.

The petrol/gasoline should already have been emptied from the gas
tank, but check for any fluids present. As well, the float chamber
of the carburetor (if present) might also have fluid in it: check
and drain if necessary. Unless you have a specific need to retain
the battery, discard it. If you do need to retain it, empty the acid
from it, and flush the interior repeatedly with a water/baking soda
solution to neutralize it. It will no longer be functional, but it
will not be a source of degradation. Replace the sparkplugs: they
will prevent moisture entering the engine.

Most important is protecting the exterior surface. I would recommend
coating all the metal surfaces with microcrystalline wax. This is
easier if the wax is diluted in Stoddard solvent, and a thin coat is
brushed on.

The tires should be raised slightly off the ground, and the weight
of the motorcycle should be born by the frame under the engine. If
possible, replace the air in the tires with nitrogen; this will
lessen the inevitable oxidation of the rubber. Many tire stores
offer this service. And finally, ensure that the storage area is
conservation friendly: low or no light, relatively humidity under
40%, and a steady temperature under 18 deg. C. The most vulnerable
material on the vehicle are the plastics, not the metal, and are
also the most difficult to protect. If you have any specific
questions, feel free to contact me.

Dennis Kelles-Krause
Conservation Intern
Museum of Transport