Subject: New conservation products

New conservation products

From: Aaron Salik <info>
Date: Friday, April 21, 2006
It is with much excitement that I announce two new products that we
are now carrying.

In our line of work the need to remove mounting aids, labels, and
other items from an original is a common task.  Many times the
adhesive is a starch based adhesive, but has been combined with
other additives such as alum or animal glues, which make its removal
timely and labor intensive, and increasing possible damage to the
original during the process.  The Albertina Compress is an amylase
enzyme treated paper that is used in conservation for the removal of
these starch based adhesives that prove difficult to dissolve under
normal methods.  The use of the Albertina Compress utilizes a low
moisture system, and with the paper pre-treated with the proper
amount of enzyme, there is no risk of over treatment.  This is very
useful for the removal of labels, bookplates, framing hinges, and
other undesired materials that have been adhered with this common
type of adhesive. See

    <URL:http://apps.webcreate.com/
        ecom/catalog/product_specific.cfm?
        ClientID=15&ProductID=26652>

A formal information sheet and instructions on this product can be
downloaded at

    <URL:http://talasonline.com/
        photos/instructions/albertina_compress_info_sheet.pdf>

    <URL:http://talasonline.com/
        photos/instructions/albertina_compress.pdf>

The second product I would like to announce is an Alum Testing Pen.
Alum is a chemical that is commonly used in paper manufacturing, and
is undesirable for paper that is used for archival or conservation
purposes.  Using the chemical Panduran, this pen is capable of
detecting the presence of Alum or Al+++ ions that are present in
Alum.  This is helpful in determining papers that will have a fair
amount of permanence and are suitable for ones work.  This product
can be found at

    <URL:http://apps.webcreate.com/ecom/
        catalog/product_specific.cfm?ClientID=15&ProductID=26650>

    **** Moderator's comments: The above URLs have been wrapped for
    email. There should be no newline.

Aaron Salik
Talas