Subject: Refurbishing buildings

Refurbishing buildings

From: Ian Batterham <ian.batterham>
Date: Wednesday, April 12, 2006
By way of introduction I am with the National Archives of Australia.

In late July and early August I'll be co-presenting a two day
workshop on archive building design and management, as part of the
Society of American Archivists conference in Washington DC. As part
of that workshop I'll be presenting a session on issues involved
with refurbishing and occupying an existing building (say a former
warehouse), rather than building an entirely new building from
scratch. My intention is to prepare a detailed checklist of issues
to take into account when considering the refurbishment option and
give the list to people attending the workshop. I'd like to hear
from anyone who has refurbished an old building over the past five
or ten years. I'm especially interested in what made you decide to
use an older building, rather than building new. Was it simply
because a building was readily available, was it cost, etc?

I'd also like to learn some of the issues that arose once you had
made the decision to refurbish, particularly things you might not
have foreseen at the beginning of the project. I look forward to
hearing from you,

Ted Ling
Director, Strategic Projects
National Archives of Australia