Subject: Museum Conservation Institute

Museum Conservation Institute

From: Ann B. N'Gadi <ngadia>
Date: Monday, April 10, 2006
The Smithsonian Institution is pleased to announce that the
Smithsonian Center for Materials Research and Education will now be
known as the Museum Conservation Institute.

The Museum Conservation Institute was founded in 1963 as the
Conservation Research Laboratory of the United States National
Museum. A year later it became the Conservation Analytical
Laboratory (CAL), a name it retained for almost 25 years. It was
renamed SCMRE in 1998 when its new mandate was to formulate and
conduct training and education programs in conservation.

The Museum Conservation Institute (MCI) better reflects our new
mission: to become the center for specialized technical collections
research and conservation for all Smithsonian museums and
collections. We will use the acronym MCI to parallel the names of
our peer organizations, the Getty Conservation Institute (GCI) and
the Canadian Conservation Institute (CCI).

For further information contact

    Robert Koestler
    Director, Museum Conservation Institute
    301-238-1240