Subject: Cleaning phonograph records

Cleaning phonograph records

From: Keawe Vredenburg <keaweehu>
Date: Monday, March 27, 2006
Some of the older phonograph records we received came with price
stickers stuck on with cellophane or plastic tape.  I would
appreciate hearing of a good solvent that will not harm 78, 45 or 33
rpm records.  The age of these records ranges from early 1940's up
to 1990, meaning the plastic material has probably changed.  Our
record cleaner uses Nitty Gritty Pure-2 solution. Whatever it is, it
does not do well at removing the glue from the tape.  It does fine
with dust and some molds.

Keawe Vredenburg
Paniolo Preservation Society
Waimea, Hawaii