Subject: Odor

Odor

From: Marilena Giannakeri <mgiannak>
Date: Wednesday, March 29, 2006
Does anyone have a solution to the problem of "smelly" libraries? I
am talking about the basement storage of an academic library where I
work, in which we had to store an old industrial archive (late
19th-early 20th century) together with the more recent volumes. The
archive consists of bound volumes which emit this moldy odour that
even spreads out to the upper floor if the doors are left open. I
have read about Zeolite traps but I am not sure if they do work and
I don't know where I could get such a product here. I also read
about using baking soda, kitty litter, clay litter.? Do any of these
apply effectively and how?

Marilena Giannakeri
Conservator
University of Thessaly