Subject: Casting techniques for wooden carving

Casting techniques for wooden carving

From: Frank Hassard <f.hassard>
Date: Thursday, March 30, 2006
I am working on a reproduction Chippendale cabriole leg chair
(c.1860) carved in mahogany. One of the ear-pieces to the top of the
proper right side is missing. There is very nice foliate carving to
the knee of the leg which also covers the ear-piece. I do not have
the capability (or proficiency) necessary to carve a new one in
wood. I think it may be possible to cast a new one from one of the
existing ear-pieces (and then tailor it to suit). However, I do not
have much experience with such techniques. I understand that there
are concerns with some of the epoxy systems regarding
discolouration, texture etc. Could someone give me some advice on
how to get the best results and which materials/techniques are
presently favoured (and ethically acceptable)? Examples would be
helpful.

Frank Hassard
Department of Conservation
Buckinghamshire Chilterns University College
United Kingdom

                  Distributed: Saturday, April 8, 2006