Subject: Storing motorcycle

Storing motorcycle

From: Marie-Chantale Poisson <misspoisson>
Date: Friday, March 24, 2006
We have a 1995 Aprilia motorcycle designed by Philippe Starck in our
collection (look online for a similar model of the Moto 6.5), which
needs servicing in view of long-term storage. The bike has 2 miles
on it but as far as we know, all the fluids are still in there
(including some gas in the tank) and the battery is probably in as
well.

Besides taking the battery and spark plugs out, does anybody have
recommendations for its storage? Which fluids should be flushed,
topped or replaced? Fluids include break fluid, shock oil, engine
oil, transmission oil, coolant, etc. Should we empty the gas tank
and coat the interior with oil, or should it stay dry?

We spoke to a few bike mechanics from the area, but we would rather
use other museums' standards if they are different.

Marie-Chantale Poisson
IMLS Fellow in Conservation of Contemporary Art
San Francisco Museum of Modern Art

                  Distributed: Saturday, April 8, 2006