Subject: Identifying writing implement

Identifying writing implement

From: Robert Watson <drawatson>
Date: Friday, March 24, 2006
Mark Clarke <mark [at] clericus__org> writes

>Robert Lodge <mckaylodge [at] aol__com> writes
>
>>I am interested in learning the identity of a mark making implement
>>that was used to write the date "1840" on the label inside a violin
>>made by a noted 19th century French maker. ...
>
>I am a bit vague about this, and I am unsure when it was first used,
>but it sounds awfully like what I was taught is 'laundry marking'
>pencil, which was a graphite pencil with added dye; with age and
>moisture this tends to look purpley.

Following up on the "marking pencil" suggested by Mark Clarke, there
is an excellent description and history of the copy pencil by Liz
Dube in the AIC Book and Paper Group Annual, vol. 17, 1999
<URL:http://aic.stanford.edu/sg/bpg/annual/v17/bp17-05.html>

Robert Watson
Conservator
125-D Post Street