Subject: House paint

House paint

From: Niccolo Caldararo <caldararo>
Date: Thursday, March 23, 2006
Lauren Allan <laurenmallan [at] hotmail__com> writes

>I am interested to know if anyone has encountered problems with
>paintings created with house paints. ...

I would suggest you read Robert G. Lodge's article "A history of
synthetic painting media with special reference to commercial
materials," in The AIC Preprints for 1988.   Other articles are
sprinkled throughout the conservation literature in reference to
individual treatments, but one good recent one is by Susan Lake,
Eugena Ordonez and Michael Schilling, "A technical investigation of
paints used by Jackson Pollock in his drip or poured paintings," in
Modern Art, New Museums, the Contributions to the Bilbao Congress,
2004 by the IIC.

Niccolo Caldararo
Director and Chief Conservator
Conservation Art Service