Subject: Digitizing X-radiographs

Digitizing X-radiographs

From: David Harvey <topladave>
Date: Thursday, March 23, 2006
Rachel Danzing <rachel.danzing [at] brooklynmuseum__org> writes

>We are interested if anyone has digitized their x-radiographs and
>what their experiences were.  Were any equipment or special
>techniques found to be useful?

In examining radiographs of various objects from archaeological
materials to architectural metals I have often found that the film
captures significant details that can be only seen through a
binocular microscope, and I have documented these micro-features via
photomicrography. Does scanning allow this degree of resolution? At
what magnification limit will pixelation pose a problem?

Also, do the new digital industrial x-ray units possess the same
resolution and clarity that film has?

David Harvey
Senior Associate Conservator
Griswold Conservation Associates