Subject: Derek Jarman

Derek Jarman

From: Paul Storch <paul.storch>
Date: Monday, March 20, 2006
Hiromi Tanimura <tanimura [at] nmao__go__jp> writes

>We have had a donation of five of Derek Jarman's works last year,
>and one of them has a problem. The work is "Nine Circles", in mixed
>media; the pieces of a broken glass plate pushed onto the heavily
>thick oil paint on canvas, maybe while it was very soft. One of the
>small pieces has fallen off from the work. It seems that the glass
>pieces stick there without any adhesive, but now I need some
>adhesive to restore it. The adhesive must be perfectly transparent
>when it is dry, because it will be seen when it sticks on the oil
>painting. I would be very happy to get any information about the
>suitable adhesive and about his works.

Have you considered Paraloid B-72 acrylic resin in acetone?  The
resin is transparent and stable over time.  It is also reversible in
solvent, and acetone should not disturb the paint layer. I generally
use a 1:1 concentration of the resin in solvent for adhesive
applications on objects. Hyxtal epoxy is also transparent and
stable, but since it is a two-part epoxy it should be considered
irreversible in this application.

Paul S. Storch
Senior Objects Conservator
Daniels Objects Conservation Laboratory (DOCL)
B-109.1, Minnesota History Center
345 Kellogg Blvd. West
St. Paul, MN  55102-1906
651-297-5774