Subject: Dust

Dust

From: Jerry Shiner <jshiner>
Date: Friday, March 17, 2006
Zu-Chun Liao <zchun [at] dns__nmns__edu__tw> writes

>In our museum exhibit room, the dust is very heavy. In the past
>years, the museum staff try to improve it by the filter which is put
>in the air conditioner. It does not work very well. ...

Air conditioners are not designed for dust control, and usually do
not have powerful enough blowers to function effectively with a good
dust filter. More importantly, the intake for the air conditioner is
far from the source of dust, so a more powerful system alone will
still not be able to provide an effective solution.

There are many dust mitigation strategies available, including dust
shields and reorganization of displays, that take into account the
source of the dust. If you do wish to use air filtering, be sure to
place the intake where it can draw in and trap the dust. Note that
the exhaust from the air filter unit could actually cause further
problems if it spreads dust that normally accumulates safely.

Jerry Shiner
Microclimate Technologies International / Keepsafe Systems
800-683-4696 ext 701

                 Distributed: Wednesday, March 22, 2006