Subject: Microballoon mixture for wood

Microballoon mixture for wood

From: Hans-Christoph von Imhoff <xoph.von.imhoff>
Date: Friday, March 17, 2006
Eugenia Stamatopoulou <stamatopoulou [at] deste__gr> writes

>This query is posted on behalf of Maria Filipoussi
>
>    Does anybody have information about epoxy resin/phenolic
>    microballoons mixture as a filler for wood objects? I am looking
>    for a commercial brand name and suppliers in Europe.

My guess is that Maria Filipoussi is looking for what earlier was
called Master Model Paste (R), This product was developed in the
1960s by then CIBA, which later became CIBA-GEIGY, which in turn
later sold this department to Huntsman.

The product was developed for modeling and developing master car
models in 1:1 size; from this model the negative form was press
molded and in turn served to produce the press to mold the sheet
metal into car doors, hoods etc. It is Araldite SV 427 (the epoxy
resin in a mixture with phenolic microballoons, with no flow during
hardening) and HV 427 (the hardener). The SV/HV 426 had a slight
flow; I don't know if is still in production. The mixture is SV/HV
1:1, working time about 1 hour, hardening time about 24 hours at
room temperature. Both components have quite some years shelf life.

It can be worked with all types of hand and electric tools, knifes,
saws, files, polishing devices, sandpapers and it can be build up
again and cut again etc.. It is very permanent; I ran a sample for
years through the dishwasher, with no change but a slight yellowing
on the upper most surface, easy to remove. More precise technical
data and details can be looked up in the preprints of the IIC
Congress 1978, Oxford, in my paper "Reinforcing a thin panel
painting", on pages 157 to 164, and as usual on the technical
leaflets.

The supplier for small conservator's quantities in Switzerland and
Europe is the

    ASTORit AG
    Koliboden
    CH 8840 Einsiedeln
    +41 55 418 7500
    Fax: +41 55 418 7501
    astorit [at] astorit__ch
    <URL:http://www.astorit.ch/>

Both components, SV/HV, are available canned, in quantities of 430
grams each (per unit approximately 18.-/20.- CHF), 700 gr per unit
approximately 27.-/29.- CHF) and 10 kg (25.-/26.- CHF per kg). There
is an agent in Greece--I only could get the phone number: +30 165 25
077. I just verified all this information by phone with the ASTORit
office.

Hans-Christoph von Imhoff
Strada Principale 30
CH-7603 Vicosoprano