Subject: Black dyes

Black dyes

From: Gali Beiner <galibeiner>
Date: Monday, March 13, 2006
In our (objects conservation) lab we have a basic selection of
useful textile dyes, of the Solophenyl type (Ciba-Geigy), for dyeing
items such as nylon nets etc. We ran out of the Lanaset black B dye
and considered replenishing it. However, the producing company
advised us that Lanaset B was no longer being produced. I would like
very much to hear suggestions for alternative black dyes suitable to
replace Lanaset black B, both in the sense of achieving the
desirable colours and in the sense of fitting into the requirements
we generally make of conservation materials.

Gali Beiner
Conservator
Pitt Rivers Museum, Oxford

                 Distributed: Saturday, March 18, 2006