Subject: Pigma micron pens

Pigma micron pens

From: Cathy Mathias <cmathias>
Date: Wednesday, March 15, 2006
Dee A. Stubbs-Lee <dee.stubbs-lee [at] nbm-mnb__ca> writes

>What is the current opinion among conservators on the list about the
>possibility of using the "Pigma Micron" pens (manufactured by
>Sakura) in place of India ink for artifact numbering?

As a conservator working with Memorial University of Newfoundland I
suggest we think about directly applying the number on the object
without the barrier layer.

In most cases these objects represent scientific samples. That said,
without a number that links them to site context they have no
meaning. Most instrumental analysis done on these object will choke
on the unknown organic contents of nail polish and even airplane
dope. Consider also the fact that the surface area of the barrier
layer applied is much greater than individual numbers--how much
contamination do you want to create? Would it not be better to have
good cataloguing techniques (where numbers are checked before
application) that give meaning to the object, allow for further
analysis down the road and do not cause any chemical contamination
to the cataloguer?

Cathy Mathias
Archaeological Conservator
Memorial University of Newfoundland