Subject: Digitizing X-radiographs

Digitizing X-radiographs

From: Rachel Danzing <rachel.danzing>
Date: Friday, March 10, 2006
The Brooklyn Museum is looking into the duplication of 1,000
x-radiographs on nitrate- and acetate-based films in the
Conservation Department dating back to the late 1930's.   We also
may consider duplicating 1,000 more on polyester-based films.

We have investigated duplication of our radiographs onto film with
traditional photography and creating an interpositive for archival
and reversal purposes. This has demonstrated excellent tonal ranges
for diagnostic use.  Alternatively, we have also looked into having
the radiographs scanned and printed onto film or paper by an outside
firm.

Currently, we are considering scanning them at the Museum due to
recent additions to our support staff, upgraded digital equipment
and the potential to have them digitally available for research. A
test scan was carried out on an Epson 10000XL scanner with a 17 x 14
inch radiograph scanned at 800 ppi, which creates a 160-200 MB file
(two scans need to be digitally combined at this size).  A budget
has been proposed for network costs, and cold storage is hopefully
in our future for the originals.  A hardcopy format has not been
decided.

We are interested if anyone has digitized their x-radiographs and
what their experiences were.  Were any equipment or special
techniques found to be useful?

Rachel Danzing
Associate Paper Conservator
Brooklyn Museum